Law Offices of Kurt M. Schultz, PLLC
Southeast Michigan Personal Injury Firm
Call Today! 734-451-0900

3 steps to take to recover lost income after a car accident

If you get into a car accident and suffer serious injuries, you might not be able to work for a certain period of time. You might be wondering how you are going to survive without your wages for the next few weeks or months. Thankfully, there is compensation available even if you do not have car insurance in Michigan.

Michigan has no-fault insurance, meaning you can get reimbursed for lost wages even without coverage. If you suffer an injury and are without work after a car accident, continue reading for the next three steps you should take to claim benefits.

1. Document lost wages

The first step is gathering your documentation to file a claim. These documents should include:

  • A letter from your employer: This letter verifies you missed work. If you are self-employed or an independent contractor, you may need to show your tax returns.
  • A letter from your doctor: This letter describes your injuries with details about your medical bills, treatments and prescriptions.
  • A copy of the police report: The police should have written a report at the scene of your accident. 

These three documents are key to proving your lost income and the extent of your injuries.

2. Calculate lost wages

If you have a full-time position, this is fairly simple. All you need is your pay rate and the amount of work you missed due to your injuries. This amount may increase if you are able to prove you lost job opportunities because of your injury, such as promotions or interviews. If you work irregular hours or on commission, you may show missed appointments, a decrease in invoices or your tax returns.

3. Get help

Understanding how insurance works in Michigan and how to navigate a wage loss claim can be difficult Talking to a personal injury attorney can help you understand the process and get as much compensation as possible. Representation from an attorney may help you level the playing field with the insurance adjuster.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information


Law Offices of Kurt M. Schultz, PLLC
843 Penniman Avenue
Suite 201
Plymouth, MI 48170

Phone: 734-451-0900
Fax: 734-737-8901
Plymouth Law Office Map